10/6/12

Philosopher Series #1

"But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything."


-Alan Watts

I have this unrelenting desire to go back in time and meet Alan Watts. He is one of my favorite philosophers and had a unique soul. I listen to his podcasts whilst putting on my makeup and getting dressed for the day. They are utterly thought provoking. If you want to take a small break from music and have a listen to something thought provoking, download the Alan Watts podcast on iTunes. You won't regret it at all.

His talks remind me of how surface-y I can be. Don't get me wrong. I listen to NPR and read up on world/local news, etc but he makes you think about how you are connected to your environment and how your body is not just a tool for living but you are VERY connected to your body. There are times when I go days without having a single thought about the world around me or why I am thinking in the perspective that I am. Doing this creates an even higher level of surface-y behavior and thoughts until I just lose myself.

Sometimes you just need a mini awakening.

--So I have this small obessession with healthy food. When I don't make a trip to Whole Foods or a decently health-based grocery store, I get in this terrible spout of laziness where I eat fastfood, like, twice a day. It is so bad and to be frank, it makes me feel AWFUL. So I spent my friday night at Whole Foods and had the most wonderful lunch today. It was really simple

I call it my Olive & Quinoa Salad


  • Organic Spring Mix
  • 1 cup toasted Quinoa
  • Sliced salad olives
  • flax seed
  • a douse of black pepper
  • red bell pepper
and a choice of dressing. I love olive oil mixed with minced garlic. 

So good. I also had it with Coconut's Gone Wild coconut water. So yeah, definitely on somewhat of a health food kick after my fast food hiatus (yuuuck). 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment